A pneumatically operated device mounted on top of the Kelly that, when actuated, causes the Kelly to turn to turn or spin. It is useful when the Kelly or joint of a pipe attached to it must be spun up; that is, rotated rapidly in order to make it up.

« Back to Glossary Index